Saturday, July 12, 2008

Entry for March 07, 2007
I have just read Nobel Lecture, Oslo, December 10, 2006. by Muhammad Yunus.
These are the excerpts from the speech…

“….Young people dream about creating a perfect world of their own….

…. I became involved in the poverty issue not as a policymaker or a researcher. I became involved because poverty was all around me, and I could not turn away from it. In 1974, I found it difficult to teach elegant theories of economics in the university classroom, in the backdrop of a terrible famine in Bangladesh. Suddenly, I felt the emptiness of those theories in the face of crushing hunger and poverty. I wanted to do something immediate to help people around me, even if it was just one human being, to get through another day with a little more ease…
….I offered US $27 from my own pocket to get these victims out of the clutches of those money-lenders. The excitement that was created among the people by this small action got me further involved in it. If I could make so many people so happy with such a tiny amount of money, why not do more of it?....
…..We get what we want, or what we don't refuse. We accept the fact that we will always have poor people around us, and that poverty is part of human destiny. This is precisely why we continue to have poor people around us. If we firmly believe that poverty is unacceptable to us, and that it should not belong to a civilized society, we would have built appropriate institutions and policies to create a poverty-free world.
We wanted to go to the moon, so we went there. We achieve what we want to achieve. If we are not achieving something, it is because we have not put our minds to it. We create what we want. …
….A human being is born into this world fully equipped not only to take care of him or herself, but also to contribute to enlarging the well being of the world as a whole. Some get the chance to explore their potential to some degree, but many others never get any opportunity, during their lifetime, to unwrap the wonderful gift they were born with. They die unexplored and the world remains deprived of their creativity, and their contribution….
…Let us join hands to give every human being a fair chance to unleash their energy and creativity..”
Please read this link if you think not for yourself , but for the world.
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2006/yunus-lecture-en.html
I wish to convert my thoughts into deeds.
I dream for a better tomorrow

I believe in a better tomorrow and I am going to work for it.

No comments: